History of the Hall
Welcome to Brundall Memorial Hall: Our Story
By the end of World War II there was a groundswell of support for the provision of a village hall.
In 1946 Mr William Thurgar of Saxlingham donated a piece of land, about two acres off Links Avenue, to the Trustees of the Welcome Home and War Memorial Fund Committee which had been campaigning and fundraising for several years. The first Hall, erected in 1948, was a former Red Cross or Army wooden hut of a type designed by Boulton & Paul of Norwich. Under the terms of the Trust deed the Hall was to be used for
“…the purpose of physical and mental training and recreation, and social moral and intellectual development…for the benefit of the Inhabitants of the Parishes of Brundall and Braydeston…and their immediate vicinity without distinction of sex or political, religious or other opinions…”
Fifty-one local servicemen who returned safely home after the War received a gift of five guineas from the “Welcome Home Fund”. In honoured memory of the fallen, in 1948 a carved wooden memorial plaque inscribed with their names was presented to the Hall by E A Parker, chairman of Brundall Parish Council. In 2011 the plaque was re-dedicated by the parish Rector, the
Rev. Dr Linnet Smith, in “tribute to all members of all the armed forces from Brundall and Braydeston who made the ultimate sacrifice for us and our country”.
In 1962 the Hall was extended to include a stage, toilets, kitchen and committee room. In 1971 the original hut was replaced by a new sports hall of one badminton court size designed by Peter Dean and built by Frank Jermy. In 1976 the name of the Trust was changed to “Brundall Memorial Hall.”
As the population of the area increased, external play areas were developed and several modern improvements to the interior were made. However, by the late 1990s the Hall was overdue for refurbishment and needed a new extension. This work was completed and officially opened on
7th April 2001 by Lord Blake of Braydeston. Over the years project funding has been obtained from government and National Lottery grants, the Parish Council, local fund-raising, loans, donations and events.
Today the Hall continues to be a vibrant hub of sports, recreational and educational activities for all and is in great demand by clubs and societies. Active engagement by local people in the day to day running of the Hall is welcomed by its voluntary management committee of Trustees. Our constitution also states that all residents of Brundall and Braydeston can attend and vote at our Annual General Meetings.
© Brundall Local History Group www.brundallvillagehistory.org.uk